Resources – Setting Up Shipping for eCommerce
If you have a shopping cart, there are a few ways to set-up shipping. One of them is to link your site to the main shipping companies like FedEx, UPS and USPS and use their Web services to dynamically generate shipping amounts (often based on the weight of the item you are shipping). Follow these instructions for obtaining the log-in and Web site credentials you'll need to use the shipping API.
- Register for an account at www.fedex.com
- Once registered, on the FedEx site go to FedEx Web Services for Shipping
- Scroll to the bottom and pick Develop & Test Your Application
- Look for the button, Obtain Developer Test Key
- Complete the Developer Test Key Form
- Copy these test credentials so you don't lose them.
- Return to the FedEx Developer Center. Go to FedEx Web Services for Shipping.
- Scroll to the bottom and find ‘Move to Production’
- Click the link and follow the wizard
- Record your Production credentials in a safe place.
- Find your UPS account number. You'll need it.
- Visit www.ups.com
- Register as a user
- Once registered, go to https://www.ups.com/upsdeveloperkit?loc=en_US
- Look for Step 5: Request and Access Key
- If successful, you’ll immediately receive an access key page. Look to the top of the page for the key.